Sunday, June 12, 2011

"Learning How to Think" "What do you Believe about this?"...in action

So this week I have been experiencing more lessons in thinking.
The lesson from this blog post, Turning Overwhelming into Overcoming I got to put into practice yesterday. A friend had posted in a blog saying, "I love my life." My initial reaction was to question that in my own life. "How can I say, 'I love my life' when I am going through a very tough challenge in my life right now that is not pleasant?
My mentor, Carlos DeJesus, asks me, "What do you believe about this?"
I've been asked this question many times over the past year (plus). It always seemed to take me "forever" to come up with what I believe. But this time, I think I am finally getting it!
The lesson of overcoming overwhelm was to think about one thing at a time...to think about each thing individually. to not combine thoughts together that don't need to be combined.
So this is what I did with this conversation. I realized that I was adding the two together ('loving life' and going through unpleasant challenge).
I guess I was "combining" the two ideas together..that of loving life and the challenge. Of course this challenge is not something to love..but I can still love my life despite going through this.
so I guess my belief was that I could not love life going through this challenge because this challenge is not pleasant...so how could I "love" it? But, by separating the two...even though this challenge is not pleasant...I can still love my life...
Because I AM growing.
because I AM getting stronger(in mind and spirit)...because I can still become who God wants me to be. and do what He wants me to do.

So the next time you are facing a difficult challenge, ask yourself, "What do I believe about this?" It could be the key to "unlocking" the truth. Once you can identify your beliefs you can then go about finding the truth of who you are,

In summary, I believed I could not love my life and go through this tough challenge.
but the truth is...I CAN love my life in spite of this difficult challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

all comments will be moderated to prevent spamming of my blog posts. thank you. I would appreciate you identify yourself and not remain anonymous.