Sunday, January 30, 2011

Dare...Boldly 2011: T-180: 69 is not too old to start

I am so excited!!  After several years of trying to convince my dad to start working out "with" me, he has today made a decision!
On Saturday, February 5, my dad will be turning 69 years old!  My dad has been very active his whole life.  From playing some sports in his younger years and farming as a teen and into his early adult life.  He has always loved gardening and working outside.  He cuts down trees and splits them the old fashioned way, with an axe!  In his mid-thirties, he developed
"Guillain-Barre Syndrome", which is a serious disorder that occurs when the body's defense (immune) system mistakenly attacks part of the nervous system.   He was in the hospital for six weeks suffering chest-down paralysis from this disorder.  He did recover from this and came home, but does have some long term residual affects.  When he got home he started reading and did his own research.  Ever since then he has been conscious of eating healthy, whole foods, hence the gardening.  He is big into supplements and I believe all of this has kept him not only feeling younger but also looking very young for his age.  If you were to meet him in person, you would not think he was even in his sixties.  Some would say he looks in his 50's.  But even being very healthy, he has added on weight slowly over the years.  Since he is single, he does like to go out to eat more often than he should.
We've lived with my dad since June 2008.  He hasn't said it, but I know my dad is very proud of me for how I have changed my life and am back on track with the way he taught us growing up.  He sees how I eat and sees me working out in our garage.  He has literally over the past four years watched me change right before his very eyes.  Not only change my physique, but change who I have become.  He has seen my struggles and has seen my victories over the past few years.
And now he sees me going at it again full force.
It is with great pride that I say he has decided to join me in training starting on Monday.  He is going to start with Elaine's baseline training the first four weeks and then we will assess then how he is feeling and determine if he would like to do the whole WDA(Why Delay Amazing) program or to venture into Muscle.  I will see if he will be willing to do some "before" photos and progress photos as he goes along.  We will also do some measurements.  I'll keep you updated as to his progress.

As with anyone, it is great to inspire someone to start, but it will be up to that individual to follow through.  I know I have inspired three of my four siblings to start(several times over!  lol), but it is up to them to follow through and press on.  I will continue to set the example and show them it IS possible, to not only start, but to also follow through and get the job done.  It is my hope that my dad will do just that, Follow through.

It doesn't matter how old you are when you start, what matters is that you do start.  It's never too late!

2 comments:

  1. That's Great!
    My husband recently started working with me in the morning.
    I run or walk and he gets on the Total Gym. Its great to know he's doing something to be here with me longer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly! Thanks for stopping by.
    That is great that your husband works out with you.
    Can't wait to see how my dad does. It will be good.

    ReplyDelete

all comments will be moderated to prevent spamming of my blog posts. thank you. I would appreciate you identify yourself and not remain anonymous.